Second Grade Ideas
This fall second graders explored matter (solids and liquids). They may want to explore some ideas deeper. They also began a unit on plants.
- Water can be every type of matter through the water cycle. Perhaps they can demonstrate the water cycle? (Evaporation is a challenging concept!)
- What happens when matter is heated or cooled?
- Are those changes reversible or irreversible?
Plants are ALWAYS awesome for a science fair project - but they need to be planned for! They may want to dig deeper into the world of soil (worm farm or compost bin anyone?) Maybe your child wants to learn more about different kinds of seeds; how long it takes for different seeds to germinate; or things that affect plant growth. In our suburban setting we are so removed from the food chain that the children are amazed to discover we eat plants! (Really. This shocks them.)
- Do seeds germinate in different temperatures? Is there a "best" temperature? Does it always have to be warm?
- How do people use seeds? (To grow new plants, to eat.)
- Do people eat sprouts? There's a quirky (but informational and delicious) company called Sprout People that has seeds and sprouting supplies.
- Will plants grow with anything other than water? (Orange juice? Milk? Soda?)
In addition, second graders could do any of the first grade ideas.